In the morning I have my ritual of eating my healthy muesli. And for lunch a salad or meat/chicken with vegetables.
Later on the day I drink a coffee, preferable with something sweet.
Sweet snacks, to stop my craving. Then I think about chocolate….mmm. This is for me a no go. So I eat a piece of fruit instead. But doing this everyday gets a bit boring. A woman needs her chocolate, especially at her time of the month. When it is that time and I don`t eat chocolate, well look out. I can get a bit aggressive. So to save others and myself, I made these brownies.
The sweet base, comes from dates. The fine structure is made with shredded coconut and finely chopped/grained almond.
The brownies were already a success, when my kids were licking the spoon with dough.
When the brownies were ready, I wanted to photograph them and share this recipe with you. So I prepared my photoshoot. Went to the kitchen to get a knife. When I came back, there was a piece missing! Looked at my youngest son, his mouth was full with chocolate. I could only laugh. I guess the brownies tasted good and approved by my kids. I went ahead and tasted also a small piece, my eyes closed automatically as I tasted the sweet chocolate. YES. I found a snack that I could take to work on and eat with my afternoon coffee or tea!
Makes 10 brownies
- 200g dates
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup ground almonds
- Handfull of your favorite unsalted nuts, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup raw cacao
- 2 table spoons coconut oil
- Pinch of salt
- Start by preheating the oven to 180C.
- Cut the dates in small pieces.
- Put the small pieces of dates in your food processor together with the 3 eggs. Blend until smooth.
- Add backing powder, coconut and almond and cacao.
- Place into a lined baking dish.
- Sprinkle your favorite nuts on the mixture, press very softly into mixture, but still visible.
- Cook for about twenty minutes, until you can pierce the brownie cake with a fork bringing it out dry.
- Remove the tray and allow it to cool for about ten minutes – this is really important as it needs this time to stick together!
- Remove the brownies from the tray, leaving it another few minutes before cutting them into squares.